Willing to try a new raw mango recipe this year?
Raw Mango Dal! Some say it’s from the south, others say it’s from the east, I say it’s the way to a tangy tasty meal ! Raw Mangoes are typically used to make this spicy and soupy dal with split pea lentils. It’s really easy to make once you have the ingredients and technique sorted.
Here’s an easy recipe from my mom:
What you need
- 1 Raw Mango (peeled and cubed)
- 250g split pea / Tuvar dal
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Hing (Asafoetida)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp each cumin & mustard seeds
- 2 whole red chilies
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp hing
- 1 tablespoon ghee / high smoke point oil (e.g. canola, sunflower)
- In a pressure cooker, measure the raw dal with water in a 1:2 proportion.
- Add in the cut mango, chilli, turmeric and salt and pressure cook for about 3-4 whistles.
- The lentils should be cooked relatively soft.
- For the tempering , heat ghee in a heat resistant wok, add in mustard and cumin seeds and wait for them to splutter.
- In go the red chilli, curry leaves and hing for a final sizzle and pour over the cooked lentil-mango mix.
- A spicy tangy dal is ready to be savored with hot rice / quinoa or just as a thick soup