This week’s recipe is a simple Roast Coconut Chutney! Coconut chutneys are delicious but have an extremely short shelf life especially in warm and humid climates. Here’s a way to savour this chutney for more than just a day and is a cross between the Srilankan Sambal and South Indian chutney
- 100g of grated coconut 🥥
- 20g roasted peanuts 🥜
- 1 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 dry red chillies 🌶
- 1 tsp crushed jaggery
- 1 inch ginger
- Seasoning mix : Asafoetida, white urad dal, mustard, cumin seeds and curry leaves
1) Roast the grated coconut on a low flame till it turns golden brown and becomes dry
2) Soak Red Chilies in Tamarind pulp for 15 mins
3) Coarsely grind the roasted coconut, peanuts, jaggery, ginger, salt and tamarind pulp with as little water as possible until well blended
4) In a mini wok heat a teaspoon of ghee and add in the seasoning mix. When it crackles stir it into the blended chutney.
Serve fresh with dosas, idlis or any Indian dish that pairs well with Chutney.