Diving into the heart of a fusion recipe I tried today.
Chana Dal (split gram) with DouMiao (peashoots). They taste like a cross between baby spinach and peas good source of beta carotene, vitamin C, folate, and fiber. Packed with protein this dish is a great main course & it’s easy to make except that it needs an hour of #slowcooking. The best things take time to brew . Read on for an easy recipe
- 200 gm Chana Dal (skinless split gram)
- 100 gm Tuvar Dal (split pigeon peas)
- 200g Dou Miao (Pea shoots, I’ve used the organic one in this recipe)
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2-3 Bay leaves
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 2 Red chillies
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Cook the lentils in a pressure cooker with the turmeric & asafoetida (hing) till soft. This normally takes about 4-5 whistles.
- Heat ghee in a crock-pot & add mustard, bay leaves, curry leaves, red chillies, ginger & garlic and cook till the spices splutter.
- Add in the onion & chopped tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes reduce to half and turn a deep red.
- Now add in finely chopped Dou Miao, salt to taste, a dash of red chili powder and cook for 5 minutes.
- Finally, stir in the cooked lentils with 100 ml of water & slow cook on simmer for 35-40 mins. Garnish with coriander & serve as a soup or main course.